Proofreaders detail your car. Copyeditors repair and tune it up. As a developmental editor, I help you customize your car or build one from scratch—and detail it—and then I help you share it successfully.
Purpose: To help experts share ideas that change lives!
Principles: Integrity, collaboration, beginner’s mind, honoring the genius in everyone.
Process: Blend communications, digital, and business consulting skills.
Projects: Collaborating on books, courses, email newsletters, social media and other content marketing.
As a sounding board, my listening presence helps you communicate your expertise. I often interview, record/transcript, then organize and edit to spark new ideas and capture your speaking voice. I also consult on business models, and set up or improve content marketing.
How I got this way:
• Story-loving daughter of an industrial engineer.
• Took programming in high school and embraced digital collaboration in every career role.
• Majored in English. Two master’s degrees: English Language and Literature from Arizona State University and Master of Global Management from Thunderbird School of Global Management at ASU.
• Taught college courses in writing, research, critical thinking, presentation, and digital skills including website creation and usability.
• Helped create technical, marketing, and instructional projects in government, corporate and academic environments.
• Collaborations have included courses, software, workshops, books, online content, training manuals, SOPs for manufacturing and business processes, case studies, press releases, proposals, newsletters, surveys and style guides.
• Inspired a solution for the dietary supplement industry’s greatest challenge, and consulted through development, beta-testing, configuration, implementation, marketing, and acquisition of a user-friendly, industry-standard product.
Passionate about learning and creating, helping brilliant people develop systems for teaching others. Volunteering with Rotary and Thunderbird School of Global Management to create more peace and prosperity for all.
Ben Franklin’s collection included, “Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.” Let’s do both.
“I have more confidence. How is it that I have so much talent???”
“Gwyn Nichols is a delight to work with. Her belief in us and our project has propelled us forward. Her help in structuring the next phase of our research is invaluable. She is a constant source of good ideas and inspiration. You might think that you don’t need an editor until you have something written—but you would be wrong! Gwyn will fan that spark of an idea until it is a roaring fire.”
“This was pure magic! There’s no other word for it.”
“How inspiring to have some else understand us, even though she had never before read nor heard of what we had been trying to do.”
“Gwyn Nichols is a godsend—brilliant and a joy to work with. She’s not only an expert in her field, she’s also very prompt in her turnaround time, helping me meet my deadlines.”
“Gwyn Nichols is definitely an idea person! As a collaborator in our project’s research phase, she abounded with ideas for collecting useful information from our niche audience, and was willing to do the specialized research using survey tools. She accelerated us into action with her suggestions, motivating style, and fabulous follow-through. I have to say that her confidence in our capacity to actually complete our project makes me more optimistic that we will really get there! I’m so glad we found her!”
“Gwyn Nichols is just the bee’s knees! She’s such a positive, calming and professional influence! Not only did she take on my flaming deadline, Gwyn met it with grace, candor and a sense of support I thought could come only from those who have known me a long time.”
“Be prepared to learn about yourself in a safe, nurturing environment.”
“Gwyn was the perfect person at exactly the right time in my life. After she gave my book a thorough reading, she made a suggestion that put the entire text into a higher class. I have recommended Gwyn to other people who want to write a book and will continue to do so. Be forewarned—her energy is contagious!”